Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wake Up Sacramento Epilogue

I am told by my former student that the teacher has agreed to call weekly regarding the young man’s academic progress. Additionally, the district supervisor will be visiting the school on Thursday. According to my former student the supervisor stated; “she was concerned about the lack of a response to my certified letter in a timely manner….she went on to tell me that the meeting on Thursday was already scheduled to talk to the principal about other parent/teacher issues.”
Although I am happy that the communications are being reestablished between the school and the parent, I am troubled by the supervisor statement to my former student regarding other parental issues at that school. I know that many will disagree with me on this issue, because of our need for transparency. Competent and incompetent educators should be evaluated in a non bias fashion. For example, if the parental issues are not resolved in this Thursday meeting, this transparency will quickly become a massive cover-up.
L. Lewis commented that “we need for our counselors and teachers to make a conscience and consistent effort to inform the students about what is required.” I agree, however, I would add that every school should create what I shall call ‘Conference Weeks’, twice a year for middle and high school parents. Scheduled appointments where the counselors provide the parents with status of updated. I believe the most appropriate time to schedule these “Conference Weeks’ are during the 9th week and 27th week of school. We utilized this format at my former middle school.
Tasha commented that she was told by a school administrator, “that it was unlawful in the state of California to use the students grades (even if the whole class has F’s) to be used in the evaluation of a teacher.” I must assume that this was part of the negotiated teacher contract, yet I am at a loss how a principal would appropriately evaluate a teacher’s performance if there students’ assessments are precluded.
Sonia Lewis commented that parents should “find that one teacher on campus that has inside information about the go-to people on campus.” This is great advice and I would suggest that each of you re-read the previous comments and actually try some of the suggestions.
I am of the opinion that we all must come out of the dark into the light regarding the education of our children. It is time for all citizens to become proactive. While we are debating which books should be included in the curriculum or which theories should be taught…..our alternative schools are filled with poor white children and children of color. While we debate if President Obama is a citizen of the United States or how Tiger Woods has failed us as a role model……1/3 of all African American young men are under some form government supervision.
The lyricist Lionel Richie actually captures my feelings when they are personalized: I may be just a foolish dreamer, but I don’t care….cause I know the children happiness is waiting out there somewhere. I am searching for that silver lining, horizons that children have never seen….I am dreaming my dream.
Please check these sites; there are people who are truly proactive.
www.everydayifight4youth.com
www.ascribeconsulting.com
http://speaksoniaspeak.blogspot,com
www.diaryofadreamer.com
www.baileygroup.org

2 Comments:

At January 6, 2010 at 4:02 PM , Blogger Cope said...

I am posting this comment at the request of Danny who lives in Washington state.

Marshall is in the 7th grade is in the honors program with a 4.0 gets a D in social studies and an F in language arts, the school has a team teaching concept yet the teacher for these classes did not confer with other teachers to see is he was having problems in their classes or contact me to see if something was going on at home. Granted he had not done the work, however it is my opinion that this teacher demonstrated extremely neglegence in not talking to his team members or the parent. Had I not had a network of support for him there on staff this would have been his final grades, once the admininstration reviewed his test scores that also elevated the school's standing we received a transfered and the teacher was removed the following year. It came to my attention that this teacher was treating all of the Black boys the same way.

 
At January 6, 2010 at 5:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Danny....this bothers me as I am faced with a similiar situation with my AA 13yr old son. Something needs to be done to these teacher. Where do we start? It took something like this to happen to us before I realized that there is obviously a problem in our education system. Now that I have pursued interest in someone being held accountable for their actions, (thanks to Mr. Copeland) they want to "play nice" It should have never occurred in the first place.

I'm pleased to know that something positive came out of your story. If more African American parents would look into these things regarding our children, educators wouldn't get away with certain things. I have 2 sons, 11th & 8th grades...I will continue to show my face in their schools, they (adminstrators) will hate to see me coming.

I had 2 teachers in my life in High School who helped me stay on track no matter what. I had a bad attitude in my Jr/Sr year of school, had a son while in 12th grade and was fed up with going to school. They rolled up their sleeves and came to my house on several occasions to tell my dad that I hadn't been coming to school. When my son was hospitalized, That was my excuse NOT to be at school...Guess what? Those two teachers and my dad began communicating concerning me. I had to take my behind to school and these women would take me to the hospital everyday AFTER school to visit my son until he came home.

They went above and beyond because they CARED about me. Where are the good teachers now? We as parents have to SHOW UP and they will too. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home