Saturday, January 2, 2010

Are questions important?

Recently I had the opportunity to be a guest on ‘That’s My Word Radio Show’. The host of the show is Mari Torres (the Oprah of internet radio) and her sidekick Mike Lee. I must applaud the success of two of my former students; at Luther Burbank High School in Sacramento, California.
During our discussion, Mari asked me the following question: Are we asking our children the correct question regarding how they are doing in school? What an insightful young woman.
Actually, we should always remember that children have developed a procedure for cutting off communication with adults by providing the answers that the adults want to hear. For example, when we ask a child; how are your grades? Most children will say, fine! Think about this answer for a moment; what did we really learn? Not to overstate the obvious, the adult now must determine what fine means. Moreover, the adult must translate ‘fine’ into a letter grade. Yet in far too many times, we accept the child’s answers and move on. May I suggest that we ask more direct questions? For example, what is your grade in Language Arts? This method allows the parent a clear insight in the child’s academic progress. Think about!
I hope that you guys will check out blogtalkradio: That’s My Word.

Thats My Word 2010 is Here! Lets Get it Done!
www.blogtalkradio.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home