Monday, December 14, 2009

But Mr. Copeland, I am an atheist!

During my last visit to Sacramento, I was afforded the opportunity to speak to selected students at C.K. McClatchy High School. This speaking engagement was facilitated by one my former students, Maria Roediger Perez. As I prepared for this event, I selected the title, The Urgency of Now….how to keep your dream alive. Additionally, I was accompanied by my wife, my best friend Alan and my brother in law Pastor David Johnson. It is was moment that required familiar support because these young people had no idea who I was and more importantly how my message would assist them on this journey called life. I also invited my favorite Sacramento sports writer because we would have an opportunity to reminisce about old times prior to my speaking.
I spoke for about twenty minutes and as is my practice I conclude with a quote prior to a questioning and answering session. The quote that I used at the conclusion of my speech was: “How one sees God will determine your theology. Your theology with determine your anthropology. Your anthropology will determine how you see other humans and how you view humans will determine your sociology.” I have founded that a person’s spirituality will always provide each of us with what I call our lyrics for life. It is important that the reader understand my operational definitions of theology, anthropology and sociology. (1) Theology is the study of God or, more generally the study of religious faith, practice and experience. (2) Anthropology is the scientific study or the origin, the behavior and the physical, social and cultural development of humans. And, (3) Sociology is concerned with all group activities: economic, social, political and religious.
I must admit that I notice from the podium a student in the third row of the center section of the auditorium intensely taking notes. As I proceeded with the questioning and answering section of the program I had become less conscious of this student and more focus on the questions from other students. Suddenly this young man stood and stated his name and said, “Mr. Copeland I am an atheist, does my beliefs deny me what you called the lyrics of life.” You can imagine that his question created stir among those in the auditorium. I first acknowledged that this young man had asked a very profound question. I immediately moved closer to this young man and asked him this question: What is your favorite subject? He stated the Humanities. I then asked him had he read any of the works of Sir Thomas More or Jean Paul Sartre. He answered yes Mr. Copeland I have; I replied Sartre said I think therefore I exist, son if you think and you know that you exist you will find your lyrics of life. At that moment I shared with all my lyrics of life. “When I look at the world it fills me with sorrow, children today are gonna suffer tomorrow. What a shame; a sad way to live when we can’t stop living. Save the children.” I gave the young man my business card and ask that he stay in touch. On December 10, 2009 he emailed me with a simple statement. Mr. Copeland, I found my lyrics of life. What is important about this event is very simple. Regardless of your passion or your belief, to change someone requires that you speak in their language at a tone that allows them to listen rather than hearing what you are saying. My friends never forget that: the work goes on…the cause endures…the hope is still alive and the dream shall never die. Edward M. Kennedy.

.

2 Comments:

At December 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM , Anonymous Marie Perez said...

I remember that moment well. Mr. Copeland, you referenced "God" in your speech. The boy stood up and said he was an atheist, I fully expected him to say something to try to discredit you, or at least say something negative. Instead, you came close to him, looked him in the eye very compassionately and drew him in by speaking to him "in his language", quoting an author that he respected. He looked at you awe stricken and said that he would always remember you and thanked you. What a profound moment!

Mr. Copeland, what a gift you have to recognize people for who they are and where they stand in life and yet respect them for the beauty and value that each individual person carries in this world. As educators we need to be that way- recognize the beauty and potential that each child has, despite our differences.

Thank you for teaching me to recognize my own value in my awkward adolescent years when I didn't quite know who I was or where I was going. Your belief in me compelled me to want to do the same for other youth. Maybe this boy will be inspired to likewise, look beyond the differences and find the beauty in someone someday.

Marie Perez

 
At December 17, 2009 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Cope said...

Thank you Marie for your validation of this event. I love your statement: "look beyond the differences and find the beauty in someone."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home