Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sometimes I wonder

Malcolm X stated: “Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change.” I must assume that most members of our society are in ‘crying over their condition stage’; I believe this is especially true for African Americans. What is most interesting is the fact that 30 or 40 years ago African Americans were participating in the ‘bringing about a change’ stage in our lives.
Clearly, those social conditions that we faced were alien to the constitution and it was necessary for us to take actions. However, it seems that once we obtained those social rights, we falsely assumed that our lives (politically, educationally and economically) would change. The reality in 2010 it seems that for too many African Americans are being rendered to a permanent underclass. The election of President Obama again provide what he called ‘change that you can believe in’, however, most of us have forgotten President Obama’s most important philosophical statement: ‘you are the change that you seek.’ Again, Malcolm stated profoundly what we actually face as citizens in this country: “Sitting at the table doesn't make you a diner, unless you eat some of what's on that plate. Being here in America doesn't make you an American. Being born here in America doesn't make you an American.”
Some place I read, (Proverb 30:14), “There is a generation whose teeth are as swords and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from the earth and needy from among men.” I understand that this was written thousands of years ago. Moreover, I realize that I am not a theologian and therefore for many readers they will question my analysis. Yet, I can say with a clear conscious that our generation have witness a generation of greed. What is humorous to me that we elected a man to address these economic problems, but we want to tell him how to fix the problems? As African American we must come to grips with the facts that our children are devouring each other. Many individuals, including my friends have spoken eloquently about a need to change our educational institutions. These changes include the return of prayer into the schools, mandated uniforms and of course the need for parents to discipline their children. Stated simply, we are diverse religious society therefore mandate religious prayer is not an option. What is an option is for schools to allow those individual who want to pray the opportunity to pray at a designed time and location. As a principal I afforded this opportunity to my students. I believe uniforms but not mandated uniforms. I believe that you allow your student council develop and the procedures for students wearing the uniforms. Again, as a principal I implemented such a program. What I know to a more effective method for classroom decorum is to require students to stand when answering or asking questions. The results would be obvious. Finally, we must deal with the fact that we have mis-educated a minimum of 2 generations of Americans. The facts are simple for me, the principal and the teachers must create a school environment that produces a renewed confidence for all parents. Just tell them the truth. Freedom is an internal achievement rather than an external adjustment. Mix a conviction with a man and something happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home